Monday, June 8, 2015

WWDC Day 0, Part 1 - Keynote

First of all, there are a lot of people here. Last night, my buddy told me that I might want to line up early; otherwise, I might have ended up in the overflow room.

And my Mozilla colleagues, Emily Toop and Darrin Henin, wanted to hook up early. So I set out to Moscone West and arrived at 6:30. I initially went to the back of the line. It went north on 4th, all of the way west on Minna, back South on 5th, and then almost completing the circle halfway back up Howard. 

Fortunately, the other Mozillians found some of their friends who work at Facebook, and got us a place at the front of the line. Hooray.

They let us into the building at 8. We went up the escalators, and then walked all of the way around the second floor, where we waited in the (hot, crowded) hallway for another hour.

At nine, they let us crowd around the base of the escalator to the 3rd floor. We were there for about half an hour when we were finally let into the main hall.

The keynote itself was a little disappointing. New versions of OS X and iOS with some whizzy features. My favorite was the multiapp features in iPad; looking forward to playing with those. My single favorite announcement was that Swift is now going to be Open Source and run on Linux. They then talked about watchOS, which I currently have no interest in.

And then they wasted 45 minutes with the Apple Music announcement. OK, I can stream all of Apple's catalog. But I have to either stream or play my library? Wasn't clear. And the performance did nothing for me.

So. OS X El Capitain and iOS 9: Yay. Looks good. Carry on. 
watchOS: Cool, I guess. 
MUSIC: meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment