Friday, June 12, 2015

WWDC Day 3 - Sessions are starting to run together...

We are in the thick of things now; next to last day. Sessions I attended:

  • Optimizing Swift Performance - This was a disappointment; it basically was Apple people telling us how Swift is optimized by the compiler, including a mode which does optimization of all of your modules at once. It also demonstrated Xcode's profiling features. While that is interesting, I had been hoping more for how to fix slow Swift code. Don't get me wrong, the presenter demo'd changes in Swift code making his app faster. It was just a different take on the topic than I was expecting.
  • Continuous Integration in Xcode - XcodeServer is cool. It is not Jenkins. It really wants to run in OS X Server. And it was introduced last year, so the meat of the feature was presented in last year's WWDC. I need to go back and watch that video. This could be very useful for Mozilla's iOS efforts, if we take the time to write tests using XCTest framework. I feel like this is an area I can explore and contribute to the team.
  • Mysteries of Auto Layout, Parts 1 and 2 - Without having seen the basic talk on Auto Layout in the 2014 WWDC sessions, I was a little lost on how to start this from scratch. Dry, long, but ultimately interesting, I will be glad to watch this again after playing with Auto Layout myself.
  • CloudKit tips and tricks - Another area I need to go back to 2014. Basically, you can rent space on Apple's servers to provide a back end to your app. Alas, it requires an Apple ID for your users, and I know that will be a barrier to entry.
I had lunch with my good buddy Jim Ingham. We worked together at Sun, Cygnus, Red Hat and Apple, off and on from 1997-2006. It was good to see him. I wish I could remember the last name of the other Apple engineer who joined us, Greg. He had been there a few months when I left, and he had moved from Austin (!). It was good to eat a good lunch away from the show.

I also went to the Apple Bash.  They had the band Walk the Moon, and I was pleasantly surprised. There was actually musicianship on display. I am not going to buy anything, but for once, I wasn't counting time until the band stopped.

It was not a dinner outing. There were small entree-like snacks, but it's not the same. So Paul and I found a late-night place near Union Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment