Wednesday, June 10, 2015

WWDC Day 1 - Sessions, Sessions, and some old friends

Tuesday was filled with sessions, with breaks in the Developer Tools lab. Sessions I attended:

  • iOS Accessibility - Actually my favorite talk of the day. First, the presenter talked about the tenets of accessbility, and demo'd taking an app and adding voiceover capabilities. It's not that hard to do.
  • What's New in Swift - First of all, this sessions was very very crowded. Swift has really caught on in the Apple community. Important features in 2.0:
    • Error handling - similar but not identical to exception handling. Really needed in the language, as I have run into cases where iOS was throwing an exception, but there was no way for me to catch it and figure out what was going on. Huge addition to the language.
    • Protocol extensions - These are much easier now, as you can include, for instance, all collection classes, or things like that. This can be quite powerful, and a lot of new functionality and APIs written by Apple are implemented this way.
  • What's New in Cocoa - OS X APIs are being made more Swiftable, so Objective C is being enhanced to interoperate better.
  • What's New in Cocoa Touch - Frustrating session that talked about a bunch of technogies in outline format directing us to the session that matches. No real content here.
  • Improving Your Existing Apps with Swift - The presenter showed us how to take an existing app and add code in Swift to it, even if it is in Objective C.
I also spent some time in the Developer Tools Lab catching up with former coworkers. Plus, I discovered an Xcode 7 bug launching the simulator, and I talked to them about that.

After the show, I met some friends from college and/or my very first projects for dinner in San Mateo. I was truly great to see them.


No comments:

Post a Comment