Friday, June 12, 2015

WWDC Day 4 - ...and that's a wrap

And the last day...

  • What's New in Internationalization - Boy, OS X/iOS has a lot of i18n options. Now you can localize how you call people, and provide alternatives for strings based on width. And you should use the options to make your app work with readers of right-to-left text. There are options to simulate these.
  • What's New in UIKit Dynamics and Visual Effects - So, you can set your views to move around to a number of rules. Isn't that swell? Please don't do this unless you are writing a game. Really. You'll make my wife seasick.
  • Building Better Apps with Value Types - Swift has a bunch of types that are logically stored by value. This talk was all about the effects of that. By this time, I was completely zoning out, so I'll have to revisit this later.
I had lunch with Emily Toop on the Firefox iOS team. She is new to Mozilla, but an experienced iOS developer out of the UK. Lovely venue at the Samovar Tea Lounge in Yerba Buena Gardens.

Overall impressions of WWDC:
  • It was good to see Apple people, but I no longer miss the place. It was a long time ago that I worked there, and life is much different now.
  • iOS programming is just fun.
  • I am ready not to be with huge crowds for a while.
  • This was not a blockbuster event for Apple; nevertheless, the improvements for both OS X and iOS are real, and interesting.
  • The food at the conference was not great. Lunch today was terrible, which is why I went offsite.
  • They finally got enough transmitters out to fix Wi-Fi in the hall, just in time for it all to be over. You would think that after 15 years of Wi-Fi being on their laptops, they would be able to get this right... Of course, the hotel Wi-Fi wasn't any better in the evenings, when everybody left the conference.
  • My feet hurt.
I would be happy to come back next year, but I am not going to push again unless programming the Mac or iOS is my primary job. Lots of good stuff. Also, there are some sessions from last year I need to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment